Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh to be young again

Oh to be young again

I'm curious to learn how others of advanced age (in my case 82) are coping with its effects on your dressing. In my case, arthritis in my knees and shoulders restricts what I can do. Pulling on a pair of pantyhose is a major struggle. And forget about back zippers or 4-inch heels. I've adapted by wearing thigh highs, pullover dresses, and 2-inch heels. Has anyone else had to make such adjustments?

I'm just turning 70 this month and I don't really have any trouble dressing, except for crossing my legs to get that second stocking on when trying to put on tights or pantyhose. As far as bras or zippers, I just do back to front. Waist nippers and bottoms help a lot.

Everything seems to still be working fine.
    Last edited by SylphDevine; 05-14-2024 at 09:22 AM.

I am into the first few months of my 78th trip around the sun and, thankfully, I appear not to be as advanced in the arthritis areas. Arthritic knees were fixed 10 and 7 years ago so I can do heels, but choose only 2" block heels. At 6'3" tall in bare feet, a 4" heel would put my head in the ceiling fan which wouldn't end up well. Having the knees fixed allows me to do pantyhose easily. Bras can be a problem sometimes when the fingers and wrists ache, but like Sylph, I hook at the front and spin them round. I also choose dresses that don't have zips. I am, however, more likely to wear skirts with elastic waists and tops that just pull over my head. I think my favourites for everyday wear is leggings. When I have nowhere to go, a pair of leggings and a sports bra is often all I need.

I'm sixty eight and have a few aches and pains but they don't limit my choices in clothing too much. But, my mature, expanded body does not lend itself to many of the styles I'd like to wear. I am less embarrassed about being less typically masculine than I am about the fact that I make some of the tops i would like to wear look like maternity tops.

I wonder, if i had a more fit physique, would I be more public with my freestyle/androgynous clothing choices.
    To be loved but not known is comforting but superficial. To be known and not loved is our greatest fear. But to be fully known and truly loved is, well, a lot like being loved by God. It is what we need more than anything. ~ Timothy Keller

I am past 71 and have my share of aches and pains, but thus far I am still limber enough to hook my bra and pull on whatever I am wearing. Time will eventually take its toll.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm replying to your post after my first nite out at WildSide in Vegas, MW. A week long T girl event. I guess age is more about how u feel than the actual number?

Because I'm 81 and was out walking and dancing until we closed the club at 1:30 AM. My 4 1/2" micro mini spike heels felt fine until one broke off on the dance floor! I retreated back to a table of T's and spent the remainder of the nite chatting, drinking, and taking photos!

I have used physical therapy to regain use of a shoulder, knee, and my back. And, have a morning routine of stretching and crunches that keeps me limber and active!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

At 68 I feel the pain, however I would rather feel it putting on hose then socks lolol.

I'm 66 and you can now see arthritis in my fingers and I can feel it in my left hip, but nothing thats going to hinder me at the moment, but the signs are there. lol

I wish I was 25 years old. I might have transitioned and got on HRT.

I've been using the paper clip & thread method of zipping up back zippers for, well, 50 years. Just bend out one 'leg' of a paperclip, tie a thread onto the loop, and pull. If you have trouble with the thread falling out, bend the open leg of the clip back until after pulling the zipper tag to where you want it, open it up again, and remove the handy little zipper 'accessory'.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

it can be a bit difficult at times because of physical restrictions, but I find ways to cope just like any woman my age would.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Just past 72 and really not having any major issues that limit my dressing. Living with cancer (2 years) and a couple of pesky brain tumors (20 years), both under control, has not slowed me down any either. Even though I stopped playing ice hockey a few years ago, I still hit the rink a couple times a week for some ice time. Trying to stay mobile and get some good cardio but I do miss playing. Nothing like getting a major workout and be able to check people at the same time plus you get to wear a garter belt, stockings and a girdle! (Plus a sports bra). Lol.

Keep your stick on the ice!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Awesome testimony Karren! You are just such an inspiration!

Your too kind, Suzie!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Im still very young. 67 in a few months.

Not letting the oid man in lol.

At 71 I am still doing everything bar the bra hook ups. Spin it around every time.
    I look for dresses with zips at the side but do favour elasticated waists.
    My next challenge is putting on an all in one leotard for my Pilates sessions. Something to keep the tummy covered. The size of my work out tights is L and yet the sports bra is 2XL and the leotard only comes in L . XL or 2XL. I have opted for XL as it is in between.

Philippa Jane

I guess I?m in the minority here at 55?.so happy to see I likely have many years of dressing left in me, health allowing. Going by everyone?s pics, I never would have guessed any of your ages. I think maybe dressing keeps us young? I sure hope so.
    ~Joss
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

90 and still enjoying every minute of every opportunity. I have been fantasizing since about 6 years old. Been pretty consistent other than Korea and Vietnam. Kind of hard to find private time. God bless all of us!

I'm 72 - getting kind of wrinkly and creaky. However, with the youthening power of crossdressing and application of my imagination to same, my female persona is no older than 50 and vibrant. I've got this thing working for me!
    www.flickr.com/people/194195593@N05/

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie5004 View Post
    I wish I was 25 years old. I might have transitioned and got on HRT.
    This is me. At 25, I was a slender 5' 9" 135lbs with blonde shoulder-length hair and no ties to anyone that would have kept me from transitioning. ('Cept parents who might have freaked out a bit.)
    No internet back then to realize I wasn't alone in my thoughts.

Platinum Member
    Hi MW, @81.5 I had a new left knee last august and may get the right one this Summer,

I still wear my 4" pumps and pretty much have full upper body motion, And putting on Pantyhose I can do with out a Problem.

T still do pretty much what i always done, Just a little Slower, >Orchid**OO**
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I’m 71 and had a new knee two months ago. Leggings are no problem but I haven’t tried pantyhose yet.
    Honoring the woman within

Aspiring Member
    Early 60s and no difficulties as yet, although one of my legs seems to be getting less flexible.
    For dresses with zips, if the zip tab has a hole in it, I use an old ID lanyard, which has a mini carabiner style clip on it, and pull the zip up or down using that.

70 next birthday. Still mobile and playing sports, DIY projects and flexible enough to put on hose, do up bras around the back, wear heels and do up dresses with a back zipper.

My main concern is when out and about I realise my age and dress appropriately. That doesn't mean dull clothing it just means I don't try to dress like I'm just turned 20 and have the figure of a racing snake. Mutton dressed as lamb is what I want to avoid.. Style and elegance are more my watch words.

Thankfully it does appear as many have said before over the years that makeup and a decent wig can knock years off your appearance. Even if it's two I'll take that.

60 but prefer the elegance and fashions of 40 or 50 years ago.There are aches and pains but today is only yesterday?s tomorrow.