Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tall girls shopping issues

Silver Member
    There is more variation in body shapes of women than for men. So some styles work well on a certain body type, not so well on others. So of course it takes more trial and error in finding the right look. To me that makes it more fun!

BTW, I am the same height as you and I weigh around 300 lb. I share your frustration and pain. If I find two dresses in a season that I'm happy with, it's been a great season. That represents a lot of shopping trips, but it makes the victories sweeter. And I've made friends with a lot of sales assistants.

Aspiring Member
    In this company I am a shrimp at only 5 foot 9 but my torso is long in relation to my legs, so Long Tall Sally is absolutely the best place for things like camisoles. I also like to wear very long skirts and some of those in LTS are actually slightly too long for me and pool on the ground! Another advantage of LTS is that they are used to men trying on clothes. When they still had a branch in Aberdeen (now sadly closed) I asked how many men they got trying things on and they said it was regarded as normal - it happened most days. LTS also sometimes carry things you cannot get elsewhere like large gloves and shoes. Yes the prices may be high for many but they have fantastic sales. The other solution is to find a good dressmaker and you then get EXACTLY what you want.

Thank you girls for sharing your experience.

I've done a little more trying on clothes since I initially started this thread but haven't really had much victories yet but I'll not loose heart and will keep fighting on.

One thing I noticed is that for us here in Australia we get limited styles and sizes compared to the US even with the same brand.

I was talking to a SA at the North Face and she said the US gets the same style of pants in "tall" but not us because our market is not large enough to justify shipping different styles and sizes. And I really liked this pants

Maybe a shopping trip to Hawaii is in order

Try New York & Company. They have a tall section online and in store.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I'm 6'1" and tend to shop at thrift stores more than anywhere else. I've found a lot of things that fit, but it's been a labor of love over several years. I thought about doing a purge once but remembered how difficult it was to get things that fit and just decided on principle that it was a bad option. Either way you do about it, you either have to spend a long time or a lot of money. Figure the one that works best for you and you can be successful.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Go to Torrid, they specialize in clothes for larger women (and are very accepting of us also) I am 6'1 270 lbs and have found 90% of their stuff in a size 2 fits me pretty well. The only drawback is that they are on the expensive side, also look at OLD Navy a lot of their tops are on the longer side so they fit us like a regular fit top