Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chickened out again

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    You have basically described how my shopping experiences. Which one would think would be easier after several years of shopping in male mode. I basically still get just as nervous now as when I was 18 shopping for items. Maybe in another 10 years this will finally get easier.

Make the list

The other day I had a list for wally world:
    Male sweat pants
    candle tarts
    hinges
    nail polish
    cotton balls
    nail polish remover

Picked all that up plus a new Fruit of the Loom stripe bra and panty set

This all for me okay so far so good.

Now I go to check out and head to the self check out and now their systems glitches, can't pick up the item I scanned and the bagging system can't tell if I put it in the bag.
    Has trouble reading my credit card, finally I'm done and as I leave I chuckle at the SA working the system, she just smiles nad nods her head. But I got what I wanted despite their checkout system, so sometimes its not picking out the product its paying for it.
    A Rose by any other name.....[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]

Love Rebecca Jayne

Hi Jamie, I have the same problem too...this past weekend I went to look at some blouses in a department store in the mall, but only ended up wandering around the store, hardly even looking at any and felt bad when I left. I got really down on myself. I have a problem shopping close to home, so I got to drive a least 30 minutes away. I keep on thinking I would see someone I knew and that I would need to explain myself. The whole expedition drove me crazy! I would say it's really about taking small steps (baby steps)...for me the fact I'm even making an effort to go to the store to look is one step closer something even more rewarding...I may not get find that blouse and buy it next time I go to the store or the next time after that again...I may "chicken-out" again"....but so what, I know I will feel bit more brave in time and perhaps the following time I may do something brash, like walk down the aisle and take a look at something that catches my eye, perhaps even pick it up off the rack to give it a closer look. Next thing I know I'm walking out of the store with a beautiful blouse. All I can say, is take your time, take small steps, try to enjoy the experience, even though it's tough! This is actually the first time I have posted on this site...which was is a big step for me following series of small steps...several months ago I couldn't hardly get myself to address my cross-dressing side at all. Good luck to you! Keep on walking forward!

For me it was when I really understood that it does not matter what someone you do not know thinks that I got over my fear.

I have started to wre articles out as welland today I wore my new sweatshirt (female) to blockbusters after work (mens clothes) and it was ok.

After awhile you do get more comfortable with shopping. It helps when you know what you are looking for and what your size is. What I did to figure out my size is to buy a pair of pants that I thought looked right and then got home tried it on and returned it for the next size up. I did that a few times at a couple of stores and now I know I were a size 10 comfortable and a size 9 very tightly depending on the brnad.

Every step you take builds courage and the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

I wish you the best of luck.

Stores with self check outs make things easier. And if you are nervous, maybe just push your cart through the makeup section or whatever and just look around a little as you pass through. It might help you become more comfortable if you don't have the pressure of selecting or buying anything. People will just think you are taking a shortcut, but eventually you will be more comfortable and be able to buy things without being nervous.

Gold Member
    heh , well, part of the fear is with walmart I bet

Not everyone who shops at walmart is a hick but that place does tend to attrct them. And as we know, if anyone is going to be smart ass, it will be some hick.

I think if you tried a different store with less hicks you might not be as nervous.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Find a Wal-Mart that is open 24 hours and go late at night or early in the morning when there aren't as many people around.

I went through several stages over the years.

- Walking by the women's section several times but feeling uncomfortable looking into the section.
    - Walking through the section on the way to another part of the store, but not stopping.
    - Stopping on the edge of the section to look at an item for a moment.
    - Browsing through the section.

Once you are browsing it is a small step to purchase something.

I haven't gotten to the point of taking anything into the dressing room.