Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has crossdressing become your hobby?

Has crossdressing become your hobby?

I was thinking about my female wardrobe, make-up, accessories, shoes, etc., and like many of us I have more items than I could ever wear. My female collection is like 10 times larger than my drab stuff. In spite of this, I'm always on the look out for my next "can't live without it" skirt, that really cute pair of heels, an amazing eye shadow palette, or whatever. I've been a crossdresser all my life, and I know it doesn't take a large assortment of clothing to express my female self, but yet here I am with an ever growing collection, and no end in sight. My obsession with all things girly definitely surpasses my wife's, or any other gg I've ever known.

This started me thinking, what drives this seemingly insatiable urge in me? Then I came up with an explanation that seems to fit. Just like a carpenter who can never have enough tools, or a photographer who can never have enough lenses and accessories, crossdressing has become my hobby, my creative outlet, and my passion. I'm on an un-realizable quest to create that perfect presentation. Like all hobbies or artistic pursuits, the real joy is in the journey, and the project is me.

I guess I'm wondering if this is something that others would recognize in their lives.

For years...yes. Now...I cannot deny that it is much deeper than that. I get pissy when I have to wear boy-clothes..sooo....

It in my world is most like performance art yet I don't consider myself to be performing. I then see myself as that work of art which will become my masterpiece should I live long enough!

"I'm Passionately Obsessed with myself", beyond a now!

Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

It is a hobby I think I have outgrown.

Yes years ago it was a great hobby and also a lifestyle
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Bailee,

I can certainly emphasise with your post. I once wrote that explaining to someone why we crossdress is like asking someone who likes model railways what attracts them to their hobby. I think the desire to CD can be separated from the practicalities of the doing side. The doing side does become very much like a hobby, having all those things that take it that little bit more further can be exactly the same as someone who wants that gizmo, the latest thing, the must have.

What makes us CD; now that's a whole web site full of posts.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

We have to tread carefully around the word "hobby" since that has overtones of it being an avocation; an amusement. The superficial trappings can indeed be hobby-like, with folks collecting items of clothing, makeup, etc. But there are also folks for whom this is identity and more serious and the word "hobby" can feel dismissive. As I so often say, feel free to express how you feel but do not try to speak for others. (It starts fights that the moderators have to clean up.)
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Definitely not a hobby. Never a hobby. I have a lot of female clothing, and buy more from time to time, but female clothing isn't like male clothing. With male clothing you can buy a couple of shirts and wear them on alternate days for ten or twenty years. With female clothing, styles change, tastes change, and you need to keep your wardrobe up to date. You need to have a wide variety of clothing so you don't appear to be wearing the same thing every day. Different occasions call for different types of outfits. Your shoes and your accessories need to match your outfit. I don't have more female clothing than I could ever wear. I rotate my outfits, and try to wear everything I own somewhat regularly. I paid good money for these clothes. I want to get some use out of them. If something remains unworn for too long, it goes to Goodwill.

My female clothing is my everyday clothing and it isn't a hobby any more than your male clothing is a hobby.

A Life style is not a hobby.and if you don't feel like a girl. Then maybe it is.
    Part Time Girl

I have a similar situation as my fem wardrobe is many times larger than my drab one. I have had to consciously stop buying things. I am approaching the time in my life where I will have to start reducing my collection of things.

I do not consider presenting as a woman as a hobby. To me, it is a large part of my life.
    Hugs, Carole

its not a hobby on days I don't feel like dressing. My moods swing to femme then back to drab. Some days are both so I have to underdress. Those times can be a wide variance in strengths. Some days I have to find time to dress fully. Other days I want just my panties under my jeans, a few days I just don't want to get dressed. I don't look at it as a hobby but more something inside that pushes me towards dressing to satisfy Jaylns urge to come out.

Banned Read only
    A hobby is like collecting stamps and coins or building plastic models. I'd say having 158 dresses borders on a compulsive disorder. Currently, since I cannot find any additional full slips to ad to my collection, I've started amassing different colors of Vanity Fair full coverage briefs. Buying the panties, is that a hobby or a compulsive disorder? I'd say it is possible to have a hobby within cross dressing. But, crossdressing in itself is not a hobby. It's driven from an inner motivation.

Silver Member
    Bailee, others have said 'hobby' before, but I'd bet that since you've been a lifetime CDer and had seriously revisted your thoughts prior to posting, you would have changed 'hobby' to something else. For me, its not a hobby. Its a compelling need as a TG.

No it's my life.

I sometimes used to call my passion a hobby. Now I do not!! LOL

I can't remember the last time I saw pink fog rolling out of the smokestack on my 4-4-0 ... Yes, one of my other 'hobbies' is micro-ferroequinology.

I don't see CD'ing as a hobby, more as a need, like others have said. While I can put it off for a while, sooner or later I start looking at female clothing again and think, "I wonder how that would feel/look on me." Then there's all the pretty underpinnings, and heels, and "OMG there's a sale on panties at Soma!", and there I am, back in the cycle again. For the most part, I'm good and behave, but sexy panties, thigh-highs and garters keep drawing me back in. The model trains I can put off and put away and leave boxed up for several years. The panties and pretty stuff? Maybe a week, unless I REALLY have something else occupying my mind.
    Last edited by Kayliedaskope; 12-15-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    "You are who you are, that's all right with me,
    But I am who I am, that's all I can be."
    -Trace Atkins, "Rough and Ready"
    ===========================================
    Just call me Kaylie

A never ending quest to look my best, not really a hobby more of a need.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

I've never considered crossdressing to be a hobby, but maybe to some it is. To me a hobby is something you CHOOSE to do like collecting coins, stamps, or antiques. It might be golf or bowling. Crossdressing is not a choice.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    I have a hobby and CD'ing to me is not a hobby, it's a lifestyle. Many people dress to a particular way of life in which they live, like wearing western clothes, or active wear, while others like us dress in a more genteel style. Historically only the wealthy could afford to live in the way that they pleased, now in our culture many live to the style that suits them. Society just has to move beyond the stigmas found in the past.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

It's definitely not a hobby...presenting a feminine appearance is an outward expression of who I am on the inside! My wife knows it's not a hobby. I dress up often and my wife says I need to get a hobby knowing that my femininity is no hobby, not at all!!
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

For me it could be a hobby, for example, like collecting 1 pair of every different kind of shoe. But the need to wear those shoes goes deeper than it just being a hobby. Most of us are on the spectrum of something deeper than that.

I think some drag queens it can be a hobby. The ones that don't feel the need to dress, and only do it for the show and/or money. That's not representing all drag queens, of course.

I don't know, it's all up to each individual to determine what crossdressing is and is not for themselves. But for me, it's part of who I am as a person. I know I couldn't stop and I know I don't want to. What drives that in me, I'll never know.

I don’t know about y’all, but I don’t feel anxiety or depression when I’m not able to indulge in my hobbies, like cooking, or video gaming.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    No hobby its the way I am everyday.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I treat my crossdressing as a hobby/interest and am well aware & respect that crossdressing is not a hobby for many other folks.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have no problem with people that do consider it a hobby, to each his /her own.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    It is whatever you want it to be. To some it is a hobby, to others a fetish, to others still a way of life, or whatever other label you want to put on it. You don't have to fit in to a box...
    Here today, gone tomorrow....