Thread: Going out in public, preparations, clothes, 'what people might think' .....

Going out in public, preparations, clothes, 'what people might think' .....

Hi together,

I hope everyone had a great weekend, we in Germany have a holiday this Monday.

The following quote inspired me to say something about the way I dress and go out in public with ease without any worries.

This is my last picture threat where the comment by Suzie Peterson was posted:

https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...expected-trips

Suzie Petersen

'You look fantastic Doreen, as you always do.
    I am amazed by your "Just Do It" attitude about this. So many of us are so concerned about everything, and you seem to somehow just have found a way to do your thing without any concern of what other people might think.
    You are an inspiration to a lot of people!'

Those of you who've been following my adventures going out in public know most of my threats and pictures.

First of all, I've been going out and experienced the freedom to do so en femme since many years.
    My wife knwos about it but won't be involved in any case at all, but she is tolerating.

Occasions:
    usually I use my business travel opportunities to be dressed alomst all day when on my way. Sometimes I do trips without any business appointments - just for the sensation of going out, that might be to wear new dresses, skirts or other items. Most of my trips extend over a period of one to tgree days in a row.

I normally don't dress on my appointments, I've made two exceptions in the past years.

Preparations:
    One suitcase, a small samsonite, is always filled with a few dresses, skirts, bouses and other tops, shoes, make-up, wigs, breast forms, bras, tights and whatever is needed.

For any trip, I'll go over my packed suitcase and might change the selection of clothes I take with me, it mostly depends on my current mood.

Where to go

I never know ahead of time where I'll be going, it pretty much depends on my business. I might drive a hundred or four hundred miles one way. In rare cases, my trip might also take me to a foreign country, such as the Netherlands, Denmark or the UK.
    Before Brexit, I've been to the UK several times within two years, with a time frame of 4-6 days in a row.

While out and dressed, I'll do pretty much what any person would do, except I'm totally dressed as a female. I use any given public transportation, visit stores, malls, bars, clubs, restaurants, galleries and museums - what ever.

Where to dress up

In most cases, dressing at the edge of a larger parking lot, such as supermarkets, malls, parking garages are the best places to dress (for me). I never dress at home prior to leaving the house.
    I all cases, I'll try to find a spot where I have visual control over the direct einvironment around me and my car.

Time to get ready
    With all the experience I've gained in these years, I've been able to cut the time in half.
    That includes full dressing, make-up and hair (wigs).
    As of now, I usually need about 30 minutes to be ready to step out.

What to carry when out
    In most cases I just carry a regular purse (I own six) OR I carry a leather shopping bag to fit new purchases, such as tops, blouses, dersses or skirts, but there will only be space for two or three of these items.
    Whenever I carry that bag, I usually have one more outfit to change clothes while I'm out, it just feels great to be able to change my female appearance, also one spare pair of tights, hair brush etc.

Negative experiences

I feel bleassed and very lucky that I can't report any negative responses or incidents that may occur during my time dressed and in public. People are very kind in any possible interaction.

Mostly, if at all, I receive very nice comments, sometimes women ask me where I got a certain dress, skirts or other items that I wear.
    On one occasion, I was waiting for a tram in Amsterdam, wearing a short navy blue floral dress without tights and shorts sleeves, a young woman walked up to me, out of a cafe, and told me how beautiful I was. These reactions are really nice and make the day.

The movies in your head
    I'm aware and still remember the thoughts and worries when going out the first times (many times) a long time ago. At that time my appearance was very far from perfect or acceptable from my todays standards.
    People are usually concentrated on their own business and don't usually take any notice of you.
    Especially where its crowded and in big cities.
    It's a little different in smaller cities and less crowded ares, it doen't mean that's bad in any way. It just means you, or a 'sister' dressed up might be noticed more than less.
    When I walk around areas with many street cafes, where people enjoy their coffee, meal of drink, they sit there any watch most people who come along that way. We're no exception. People tend to more concentrated on their enviroments in these situations.
    What does that mean for me?
    Not really much, but my feeling walking past those crowded cafes used to be a little diefferent, because I notive the attention that I'll get there.

I beleive that happens to femine dressed women to the almost same extend.
    When you wear a nice and feminine short dress or skirt, people, especially men, tend to stare at you.
    In those situatons, they might notice something different and might even think - 'that's a man, that's a trans person and so on.

However that doesn't mean anything, when walking in these areas you just need to be prepared and aware, that people take more notice of you than in other situations.

My clothes collection

I own aproximately 50 dresses, 35 skirts, 20 blouses and tops, 5-7 bras, a lace body, underwear, 20 tights and stockings, 10 blazers, two winter coats and about ten pair of heels and one pair of white sneakers.

I tend to buy my clothes used on a German website (now EU website) called 'vinted'.
    About 30-40 % of my colthes are bought new, msotly on sale in stores, always when I'm out & about dressed.

About me
    I'm older than most people might believe, I actually look probaly 15 - 20 years younger when dressed and made up.
    I'm about 5"10' without heels. With heels, mostly classic elegant pumps, add another 3,5 inches.
    my weight is about 165 pounds

My history

I've two University degrees as a designer and artist, one of which is an MFA, received in CA after a two year scholarship.
    At the age of 10, I had a terrible accident due to an explosion, that burned my face.
    It took me 18 years to recover from it physically and a little longer psychologically.

Since I was 30 years old, I didn't bother anymore when people looked or stared at me due to my scars.
    That was actually a good preparation to be able to dress, wear make-up and to look better than as my male self.
    When I'm out dressed the responses by people in public might me confused in a way (my perception), As a male, people look or stare at me (whenever that happens) because of my scars.
    Wehn out as a female, people might just see the well dressed woman, or they might see a man dressed as a woman.
    Hoewever I believe they won't really perceive me as a burn survivor - which I am.

At the age of about 6-7 and at 10 (my accident), I went through two near death experiences.
    The first one when I flipped over my air filled dinghy when I couldn't swim yet.
    I was drowned and lost consciousness, when a man who had watched me rescued me, my parents didn't notice the incident at all.

The second time was the explosion and fire. I saw myself burning in the fire from above, a very vivid memory....

If you have any questions, just ask.

ONE more note:

I'm totally aware that I'm blessed with an outstanding tolerating wife and two sons.
    I'm also aware that circumstances in life are very individual and may vary extremely.
    That is also true for physical conditions of each person or CD or trans person.
    Btw., I totally identify as male.
    About me and my outings:

https://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?284580-Going-out-in-public-preparations-clothes-what-people-might-think

Thank you for the wonderful advice?

When dressed, do you use the toilet that matches your look, the female toilet?

Marion

Yes Marion, I use the ladies room and never had a cooment or problem.

That was so nice of you to give everyone your wonderful adventures and advice. Connie

Thank you for sharing so much information about your processes for traveling and going out, your experiences, and your outlook. Those early life experiences, in particular, demonstrate your resilence and perhaps explain why you make the most of each trip, whether for work or pleasure..
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you for sharing Doreen - enjoy every post you make
    Last edited by bridget thronton; 05-20-2024 at 08:16 AM.

Thank you so much for sharing Doreen!

As I said in the original comment, you are an inspiration for people here to just go out and enjoy. You manage to fit your dressing outings in with work which is fantastic, and I do realize you have some additional freedom there because you are your own boss, but the big picture is that it can be done and people are ok with it.

Thank you Doreen. This was a very enjoyable read.

Thanks so much for taking your time to share your thoughts and experiences. I so much enjoyed reading, actually gleaned more reading it the second time. It appears to me you?re a great role model and have shown how bad experiences can be overcome. I share many of your thoughts and experiences. Thanks to my supportive wife, I, too have preparation time way down?practice, practice. Already looking forward to your next post. Take care.

Great post. Thank you. The layout allows for easy reading also. I appreciate that.

A very enjoyable and interesting read. Thank you for sharing your advice and experiences.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Doreen, u never seem to post photos with other people or at nite. Do u ever go out dressed to clubs or bars?

In my experience you'd not only be accepted in many of them in Europe. You'd be able to meet and socialize with friendly folks, including other dressers!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    While it's good to have a plan, sometimes it's good to not over think it. It seems like such a big deal to those who don't get out. Don't be nervous about getting it right the first time. Just get out there and experience whatever comes your way. You will get a lot wrong and do better next time. The less nervous you are the better your experience will be.
    Imagine singing in front of an audience. You still might suck but if you are not nervous you will sing your heart out giving it your best try.

Thank you Doreen for an interesting overview of your life.
    "Care about what other people think of you and you will always be their prisoner" - Lao Tzu

Thank-you for sharing your story, Doreen. Your outlook on like is so uplifting.

I have had similar experiences in the US. Granted , it probably helps to present as close as we can to a female image, if we do not want to confuse those who do take notice. Your pictures appear quite passable so definitely a plus.

We have a tendency to think everyone is focused on us when first going out, even though that is not the case. Those of us who have gone out many times realize it, but I can see why it is difficult for those who first venture out to struggle with it.

I think it is good for people to read posts like this to get a handle on what it is really like out there.

Thanks for posting.

Sandi

I was out today for the first time. I started CD few weeks ago and today they delivered my new pumps into delivery box and I wanted them really really badly, but as I am on home office I'm fully en femme in my bootcut sweatpants and I didn't want to change. So going out as I was was the only option.
    It was before 10AM, so everyone will be at work, so no problem and there I went. I swear the God I never saw so many people in the streets as I saw today. I usually meet 4-5 people tops, when I go shopping, today there were like 30. Moms, seniors, a cop, two joggers and workers, because today they were cleaning our neighbourhood.
    When I passed by someone, they never gave more than a glance, so more suspicious than me was my zig-zaging the streets
    The funny thing is, that I didn't feel thrill, excitement or nervousness, I felt normal. I just didn't want the strangers to recognise me (make it make sense).
    The pumps were worth it though.