Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do you hate the "Gay" Label?

Amazing Member
    I hate being called gay in public. It is so awkward, because if you stop to correct them, and tell them you are a tranny, there is no telling where that might lead.
    It is like the case of visible minoroties who are immigrants who used to be asked, however politely, "How long have you been here? " when it is thirty years or something. Just a little off-putting.

OMG I am Headless!
    Quote Originally Posted by KateSpade83 View Post
    Every time I was called gay - I lost a job, friendship, or a possible date with a girl. And if they think you have sex with men, coworkers will give you hell and you don't last long. So the gay label is a big deal, and you can't protect yourself from employemnt discrimination and lawsuits are a losing matter! You gotta keep it all under the rug at work!
    I am so sorry that you have had to work in situations like that in the past just so you know, not all jobs in this world are like that and I have come out of the closet for girl me, as well as "gay" me back in the day with a decent amount of success as well as failure...

It is possible to get some sort of progressive social situations in some jobs... even if it seems like they never exist.

Hi KS,

I'm not gay some of my boyfriends are! lol
    but I'll tell you what... Lets take all your gay labels and all your other labels and put them in a pile and torch em then we'll sit around the bonfire and we'll all hold hands and realize as adults how silly the labels were in the first place...... it's time to stop dissecting the pie 2c:: love ....lacie

OMG I am Headless!
    Quote Originally Posted by whitelace View Post
    Hi KS,

I'm not gay some of my boyfriends are! lol
    but I'll tell you what... Lets take all your gay labels and all your other labels and put them in a pile and torch em then we'll sit around the bonfire and we'll all hold hands and realize as adults how silly the labels were in the first place...... it's time to stop dissecting the pie 2c:: love ....lacie
    mmmmmmm piiiiie

what kinda pie? key lime I hope!

I'm with you Kate. I have had so many people ask if I'm gay when they find out I'm a crossdresser. My wife believed dressing would turn me gay so I kept it in the closet for 26 years. All my gay friends who know Jill also know that I'm straight as an arrow and they're ok with it. When I get into a conversation with someone who asks, I tell them that the great majority of crossdressers are straight.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Katespade: Im with you, I really dislike being labeled gay because I crossdress.For someone who is happily married to a wonderful women it is an insult .My wife who does not really like my crossdressing does support me.This idea that cding is all sexual really bugs me. Best of luck Kate.

Aspiring Member
    I don't like the assumption being made, especially when I'm not gay. Do people think I wake up in the morning and think, hmmm how can I dress so people know I like guys. Please. It's hypocritical is what it is. Do people assume when a woman wears pants she's a lesbian?
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

I dress for myself (as do many GGs).

If I was gay (which I am not), would I not try to dress as MANLY as possible - as that is what gay guys would be interested in?

I have never understood why a lot of the public assume cds are gay.

Even if you was gay, it doesn't mean that you would have sex with every guy you meet. You might not even like the look of them.
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicDaughter View Post

WHO CARES if someone thinks you sleep with men?! Do you? No? Fine then move along! Geez! Such a big deal over something so minor. Bi's and gays are presumed straight every single day by everyone around us and WE don't freak out, bitch, complain and make it sound like we were just called something vile. Get over it!

THREE CHEERS FOR DEMONIC-DAUGHTER!

[QUOTE=KateSpade83]So the gay label is a big deal, and you can't protect yourself from employemnt discrimination and lawsuits are a losing matter! You gotta keep it all under the rug at work![/quote}

So you are sleeping with men and just don't want others to know for you are keeping it "under the rug."

This is EXACTLY what your worded sentence implies!

Again, as someone said much earlier in the thread, you do sound homophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    Do people assume when a woman wears pants she's a lesbian?
    Yeah, sometimes . . .
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[QUOTE=Roberta Llyan;1384912]THREE CHEERS FOR DEMONIC-DAUGHTER!

Quote Originally Posted by KateSpade83
    So the gay label is a big deal, and you can't protect yourself from employemnt discrimination and lawsuits are a losing matter! You gotta keep it all under the rug at work![/quote}

So you are sleeping with men and just don't want others to know for you are keeping it "under the rug."

This is EXACTLY what your worded sentence implies!

Again, as someone said much earlier in the thread, you do sound homophobic.
    No, I don't sleep with men. I meant you have to keep crossdressing under the rug!

The gay label is the reason why I resisted my urge to CD for so long. But I thought to myself,I'm straight, I love GG's especially my wife who accepts my CDing,so why not?. I now love CDing every chance I get.No one knows about my CDing so no one can assume that about me.

Felicity
    "Its now official,my femme name is Felicity"

Have to drink to that.

"Proud To Be My Wife's Part Time Wife"

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Being called gay no.

Being called gay and this is just a sexual fetish yes. THat I'm some how trying to trick deceive people .
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by KateSpade83 View Post

No, I don't sleep with men. I meant you have to keep crossdressing under the rug!

Maybe you ought to try it sweetie. It might help you to cope.

And that is not what you said.

These discussions about CD versus gay have come up before and they always generate a lot of heat.
    We are (I hope) liberal in our attitudes but unfortunately we live among a lot of people who aren't, so labels like this can give us problems in a practical sense (as mentioned by the OP).
    Other than that, I don't find the label of 'gay' as applied to me to be either an insult or a compliment. It would just be a mistake.
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    It gets annoying after a while but its unfortunate that is how society is. For a while I thought because I was a CD I was gay but realized I’m not.

I try not to use labels and I also try to ignore being hung with one. Yes, I love being with a man. Yes, I dress as often as I can as a woman and feel more kindred with women. If that makes me a gay crossdresser, then that's the label some will use. I am me. Cathy. I love who I am and who I am becoming.

Hugs,
    There is nothin' like a dame!

Quote Originally Posted by pinkygirl View Post
    For someone who is happily married to a wonderful women it is an insult .
    But why would it be an insult, unless you consider being gay is a bad thing? A mistake yes, but an insult???

And that is so often the underlying implication of many here and why these threads always get so heated... Many of you just do not realise how what you say sounds.
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Ivy
    I wouldn't say I feel it's an insult, but I do feel it's improper and not polite to ask someone (particularly a stranger) about their sexual orientation.

Aaaaaahhhhhhh

Ok I hate labels i take off the labls off my water bottles as well as my soda bottles
    I do not like being under any label that not me
    So you can say I hate all labels
    OMg i am a label hater
    that is a label in it self

Ivy
    One more thought: Just as I was rather clueless about FTM guys, the general public is pretty clueless about me. I have to ask. If someone asked me with no animosity if I was gay, I might see it as a chance to inform them if they are receptive. There are a lot of people whose minds will never change about me, but there are also people who just don't know and might understand me better if I told them.

If they have a stupid question attitude and ask me, "are all crossdressers gay?". I would reply, "I'm not, and I don't know all crossdressers, so beyond myself, I can't answer that question."

Banned Read only
    Is this freekin' thread still alive? Sheesh!

Well...I guess it has to be...or be replaced by another one on the very same topic.

We get so many new members each week that many of the same questions have to be answered over and over again. That's okay I guess.

And for new folks here, that question is almost always at the top of the list..for themselves ...and for their SOs... and their friends...and their new acquaintances...

But gosh,y'all...!

It sure is annoying in a forum that's supposed to be predicated on acceptance for all.

I hope that the new readers of this never ending thread and (it's cousins) come away with the realization that the vast majority of intelligent and thoughtful members here have pretty universally said, "Gay? Who cares?"

And those that continue to trumpet their "absolutely 100%, never-a-doubt-in-my-mind, totally, unequivocably, goll-darned-guaranteed, straight arrow" hetero-ness may have an acceptance problem of their own..either with non-heteros or with themselves.

Like DD says "Get Over It !"

As for me? I'm hetero-curious! Always wondered what it would be like to be an overweight, beer-drinkin', anniversary-forgetting, belly-scratchin' straight guy!

My 25 cents! (inflation, ya know!)

I think the reason most people assume crossdressers are gay is that the most vocal ones tend to be. Take drag queens for example. My theory is that they have already taken the big leap by coming out as gay, so admitting to CDing as well is not much more of a step. I do think (hope may be a better word) that as more straight CDers come into the public eye like Eddie Izzard, concepts will change, but slowly enough that I don't expect to see it. I know I'm not helping the cause by staying in the closet, but I do choose my battles carefully, and I'm not quite ready for this one. I am grateful to those of you who have taken it to the streets, so to speak.

In answer to the question, which I seem to have skirted (pun intended) I'm not terribly disturbed by any labels others put on me, and since I don't see being gay as a bad thing, and many of the people I like are gay, that label bothers me not at all.

Dee

Let me get this straight (get it?)

Gays are proud of who they are and crossdressers are proud of who they are, why would someone calling me gay when I'm straight affect me? It's like someone yelling at me that I'm rich, as if that were an insult.

I bet too there are CD's here that profess to be hetero, and yet I bet they fantasize about being kissed and wooed by a man. It is only natural. Will they admit it, not to themselves at least.

And like passing and everything else, there is a continuum of a definition of what it means to be hetero, so please, get over it all ready.

No one cares that you are straight or gay, because your straight and the next guys straight are two different things. Sexual orientation, gender identification and sexuality are all fluid, and no two people are exactly alike.

Next topic please
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

[QUOTE=TSchapes;
    No one cares that you are straight or gay, because your straight and the next guys straight are two different things. Sexual orientation, gender identification and sexuality are all fluid, and no two people are exactly alike.

Next topic please [/QUOTE]

exactly right.
    people dont really care that deeply.
    you are exhibiting effeminate behavior...why wouldnt people think that you are gay?
    they arnt interested enough to know any different. get over it, really