Thread: Is this bad press for CD's?

Is this bad press for CD's?

While channel surfing, I came accross some show about girls competing to be chosen as a future model. This show was on VH1. The host was some guy that was a Tele Savalas look-alike and he was sending these girls out to get clothes. He had on a full flowing orange dress, matching jacket over a white blouse. And he was running up and down Hollywood Blvd shouting "lets go girls". "Shop, shop, shop". And he was twirling the dress around like a Flaminco dancer while he was prancing around. Quite a sight for sure.

To my eye, this seems like bad press for CD's. What do you think?

I don't think the manner in which one person dresses reflects on anyone, excepting themselves.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Depends. Sounds like he might have been making a mockery of it.

Translate to ftm; female host dressed up in combat boots tie, business suit running down a street saying "come on boys!".

I dunno.

It's easy to hate that which is different.

Banned Read only
    i doubt that on hollywood blvd he even stood out

Maybe he was just bored.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Least he's out and about
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

I think it is only bad press for the host's sense of style?

monkey knife fighter anda_mouse's Avatar
    i wouldnt consider it so.

Well, let's see if I get this right, a flaming drag queen character is hired as a draw to get VH1 viewers? It'll never work - Kenny Kerr be quiet! You too Frank Marino. Really, places like Lucky Chengs in Vegas have no success at all. Wait, YOU watched it. Dang. It might work after all.

And it'll ruin it for us hetero CDers. People will think we are soooo drab - unless we pass of course. Then who will know besides the Shadow. . . . no wait that's about the eveil that lurks in men . . . I think I need to go, I feel a blond moment coming on

I'm all for free expression as long as the unwilling never get hurt, but I see that television and the internet, especially the internet, lump all the possible "nontraditional" gender groups into one pot. Google "crossdressers" and see what happens......

People in one "group", for lack of a better word, or other get the wrong impression, if you will, of the other groups. I don't want to be "classified" into any group, and think most of you don't either. That's what the television show you brought up does, I think.
    [SIZE="3"]Amy[/SIZE]

Well my take;
    aside from the norm, this subject has appeared since Al Gore invented the internet
    To con the old cliche, you see one, you've seen them all. The unfortunate thing is that this view is so very true. Those of us who choose to stay behind the closet door have feeling of sadness, fustration, and even anger when we see other more " ADVANCED " crossdressers. The flaming gays ones, the exixbitioninst, the " LOONEY TUNE " ones and so on.
    My My what is a girl to do??????
    "I DREAM TO BE THAT ONE DAY I WILL BE"

Seemsike bad taste to me
    Angie

Unhappy Telly in drag.......yuk!

I don`t know.......Sounds like he was mocking us but I would have to have seen it myself to be sure. I agree Angie,bad taste at the least. Angela.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    I don't think the manner in which one person dresses reflects on anyone, excepting themselves.
    Ditto
    " too young to fall in love " schoolgirl "

Come On Each To His/Her Own

Quote Originally Posted by Angela E. View Post
    I don`t know.......Sounds like he was mocking us but I would have to have seen it myself to be sure. I agree Angie,bad taste at the least. Angela.
    Are you sure GG's don't think we are mocking them My self I think "mocking" is the most sincere form a flattery.

Smile

I don't ever watch music channels anymore, and after reading this, it confirms my decision. I don't think that really would affect who we are. As far as advertising... Very poor indeed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi,
    No one really pays attention to what anyone thinks, says, or does west of the Rocky Mountains. They don't call it la-la land for nothin'.
    Take Care,
    Andi...

The large majority of people have preconceptions about most things - usually in complete ignorance of whatever it it may be. CDing is no exception. I would have to wonder what could be good press for CD's to the ill-informed masses.

I don't think that it is bad press. I do think, from what you have described, that it may have been mocking. I doubt that it made much serious impact related to the attitudes of the general public about crossdressing. And I don't think that it really matters what the host of the show was wearing--we need to have people stretch our sensibilities.
    warmly, Linnea

Appendage
    Only time for a short post, but I would like to seee a LOT more of this type of stuff.

I would love to see a hetro crss dresser who looks passable host a show.
    Lots of you on this forum look great.
    Some better than others, Ericka/Rich,,,every photo/avatar change you look better and better.
    And Karen,,,(Oops forgot the full handle sorry been away a while)
    Karen: I am just jealous of you,
    and then there is so many others that look great, a hetro cd host even a flamboyant one would be fantastic press.

Honestly...Jestina!
    Cruisin' on a sardine boat
    Loaded with crazy people

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I didn't see the show but he just sounds like a camp gay guy to me... what's wrong with that? People often (wrongly) assume that gay = effeminate and vice versa. Is that part of what you mean? or was it that he was wearing women's clothes but apparently wasn't doing what cders are supposed to do?

Sorry for being dense
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Banned Read only
    of course / the option is / go create good press on your own / if not / who are you to say

and the people in ny&cali / they don't call the midwest 'fly over people' for nothing / if you mattered / media would be there / not in nyc&la

Red face

I totally agree with Bethanygirl!!

Have you ever seen the play "Chicago?"

The only bad press that exists is for those who would use it against us. Its fodder for them. You'll never change their opinions.
    Those who think for themselves would disregard it anyway.
    I would say most of the press that is out there is open to interpretation.

You can only persuade someone who has an open mind.

Bad press? Nah. It is what it is. Entertainment.