Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outreach to the public

Outreach to the public

As a member of our local Tri-Ess I am heavily involved in our Outreach programs. For those of you that are not familiar to Outreach - it is, in our case, where 3 or 4 C.D. club members are invited to Jr. Colleges, Colleges, local businesses etc. to "familiarize" people on who and what a crossdresser is, the problems/joy it brings to marriages, and a little history of the typical growing up of C.D.'s. The audiances range from 10 to 50. Armed with this new information students and employees are better equiped to feel less embaressed to be in front of C.D.'s, thereby making the C.D.s' more comfortable too. After doing it for years, it is still facinating to hear the reactions and LACK of knowledge the general public has. The most common comments are "You mean your not all gay?", " I thought you all wanted a sex change.", and of course the most common question " What bathroom do you use when dressed?"
    Now, the reason I bring up this thread up is to ask from others - just how much EDUCATED outreach is going on? Are we hidding behind our skirts, so to speak, when out in public so as not to raise a flag in our direction, or do we educate when possible? (Yes, even after years I loose the nerve (I call them bad hair days ) and shy away too. For those days I have brochures that I can place on counters, put on billboards etc. I really don't think I'll "reap the harvest" of my actions -but hopefully I could help future generations. You know -- pay it forward!

Hi Stephanie
    That looks like such a good idea, perhaps family & friends could come along also? My in-laws could all do with something like this so that they all understand!
    I recently come out to my niece who has announced (via my mother-in-law) to the world that she is gay. I wanted her to know she is not the only one out there that differs from the 'norm'.

Thank's Stephanie

My Gotti test says I'm a gender warrior, just not publicly. I wish I had the courage to educate rather than hide. But having been in the career that I retired from I know first hand the attitudes of many when it comes to being different. You can pay a heavy price for being who you are and that is so wrong. BTW Stephanie you look great!

Good Work!

BTW what is a Gotti Test, have you a link or URL?
    [SIZE="5"]Helen[/SIZE]

Stephanie,
    Thank you. There are some other girls here that do that as well. You are awesome. Education and awareness is key. Love the outfit, very suitable.
    [SIZE=4]Sophia[/SIZE]

Karen, glad to hear that you were able to share with someone in your family. It's nice to get support - whereever it can be found. And yes, my wife HAS joined in on a couple of outreach that have been put on for college classes, where the group is going for their masters in counseling. God knows we need more counselors that are properly versed. I get tiered hearing how a C.D. went to get help from someone that did not have the proper "tools" to deal with it.
    My S.O. is also involved in the chapter S.O. support for the newly informed S.O.'s.
    Yes Joy, there are many of you "hidden warriors" out thier. For them, we suggest covert operations. :shh: . Maybe sneak a brochure on a bulletin board or something of the like. Any little bit helps. It is sad how we pay the price for the publics lack of information, isn't it? But then again, I don't completely fault them - with no information there can be no knowledge.
    We WILL make a difference. Just how long it takes is up to us.
    Hugs

Silver Member

pics

Can anyone help explain why I am only getting a box with a message "attatched thunbnail"??
    Most of the time pictures come through fine, but on this thread, and some others I get no pictures, just the box and message.
    TIA
    Steph

Stephanie,

Thanks for your outreach efforts in Arizona. The reality is that the majority on this board are too hidden to be doing much outreach to the public. My wife and I do 2-4 college and organization outreach educational sessions yearly. Recently we did a one hour documentary on transgenderism for public television in Houston. The show was very well received. Last week we completed 40 hours of filming for a one hour documentary on crossdressing which will air on WE, Women's Entertainment, in late August. The one hour feature called "Secret Lives of Women - Women Married to Crossdressers" will be aired at least ten times in August and September. The documentary will also be promoted on all the national networks. Obviously Peggy and Mel/Melanie will be out to all persons including many family members and friends who do not know about Melanie - a little scary. If this documentary (and we have seen the script) does not educate the public and also many in the TG community, than I give up.

Hugs,

Melanie
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

Banned Read only
    I've never done any outreach/education myself. I have done training and information programs for companies and official agencies like the police and social services. The point of these presentations/lectures was not understanding or acceptance, but rather compliance with the law and that's a different deal. Compliance happens outside of understanding and acceptance. Compliance is merely a matter of following the letter - if not the spirit - of the law. Since I helped work on that law, and since I've done a lot of such work before, and largely because I will not back down, I was chosen to be one of the people to do this work.

After I sketched out the various modes of gender variance they might encounter as part of their work I always made the suggestion - politely, but firmly - that if any of this made you uncomfortable, or freaked you out, or went against your religious training then you might want to reconsider where you have chosen to live. Because in this city, this is the law.

I think its important for people in our community to get out and meet people and so such work, and its nice to see some doing it. That being said, there is a huge HOWEVER lurking under that. So here it is. The best education/outreach program is just ourselves being ourselves.

The best outreach I've ever done was at coffee shops or out on the town as part of the normal course of day to day life.

Melanie,
    I BOW TO THE QUEEN!

I know this is not a "contest" to see who does the best Outreach, just a lot of hope in the works. But just think what could happen if everyone took your show and ran with it. Can't wait to see it. My VCR will be running. Are you able to get the show on tape without commercials for distribution?
    Best to you.

Meloney don't you dare give up Hun, we do need brave souls like you and Peggy. Just wish we could all get together for the showing and be a mass of support for you two.

Definatly not a gender warrier here have only been out once and dont really feel the need to go again not because because it was bad in fact it was very good its just its not really me. I may be persuaded but it will people asking me not the other way round

You know hun that is all great, i wish we could get something like that around here!!!

There are a few more of us involved in regular outreach programs. I have been participating in 3 to 4 presentations per year at local universities for the past couple of years. The latest one was on June 2 at Georgia State University to a class on human sexuality. The class had around 60 students and was 2 1/2 hours long. There were just two of us doing the presentation. We fielded a lot of questions in that time and did a pretty good job of clearing up many misconceptions the students had about crossdressers. The students were great and a number of them came up to us at the end of the class to personally thank us for coming. Several also had their pictures taken with us with numerous camera phones the students had. It's really a rewarding experience to do these presentations and I highly recommend it to anyone that gets the opportunity.
    Phoebe

Do you have that in pink? Julie Avery's Avatar
    Awesome post that started this thread. I am not so bold, but would like to be.

Doug
    "Inside of every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened."

"The best thing about the MBasic that comes with the Kaypro is that it allows variable names longer than two characters."

pretty pretty princess

you're great!

you are doing a wonderful thing.i thank you for your good deed!i hope things go well and others get educated better on cd/tg.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Miller
    Melanie,
    I BOW TO THE QUEEN!

I know this is not a "contest" to see who does the best Outreach, just a lot of hope in the works. But just think what could happen if everyone took your show and ran with it. Can't wait to see it. My VCR will be running. Are you able to get the show on tape without commercials for distribution?
    Best to you.
    There is no contest here to be the "outreach queen". All of you are doing some outreach in your own way. Just being out in public with your heads high and a smile on your face is fantastic outreach. Outreach and education is necessary because of the ignorance and misconceptions about transgendered persons. Even the director, producers and camera/sound staff with the production company we worked with without an exception thought all transgendered persons were gay. You would think that these persons primarily from Hollywood would know more about who we are. The WE channel will have dvd's available for sale after the show airs in late August.

Hugs,

Melanie
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

Educating in a way

I live in a very conservative town and I could not even imagine a public forum (school, businesses, police, clubs etc.) where there would be a meeting for the acceptance of crossdressers. The big federal employer around here had an awareness program for people to be aware and accept gay people and that garnered many outraged letters to the editor.
    When I go out shopping I usually get read by the salesperson and I sometimes say a few words about cding, but I think the best education is just to act politely and not furtive, ashamed etc.
    Hugs, Christine
    Just the Girl Next Door
    my ad V
    V

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrissiej

I'll be your Huckleberry! Sarah Rabbit's Avatar

Good Work Stephanie

You are making Great In Roads for future Generations

And like Helen MC, asked... What is a GoTTi test, and is there a LINK

Sarah R.
    Last edited by Sarah Rabbit; 06-26-2006 at 09:31 PM.
    Every time I walk down the street, I see every eye on me.
    Every time they look at me, I wonder, who do they see?
    Perfection in disguise,with regimes and alibis.
    The girl in the mirror , isn't the same as the girl in my heart

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    I have refused on several occasions to talk to Human Sexuality Classes, because I think this has to do with GENDER not SEX. I will talk with women's studies classes, and have once or twice, because that is about GENDER not SEX. Any girls who wants to know about my sexuality can come over, take off their clothes, and take notes if they wish.

------------------------------------------------------------

As to the tests, and its COGIATI TEST (COmbined Gender Identity and Transsexuality Inventory), not GOTTI (who was some mobbed up greeseball from NYC I think) here are enough links to keep you going for a bit.

The ONLY good test.
    Kate Bornstein's Gender Test
    http://cydathria.com/ms_donna/ga_test.html

COGIATI TEST (COmbined Gender Identity and Transsexuality Inventory) - sounds like a load of fun right??????
    in various forms at
    http://transsexual.org/TEST0.html

The Gender Purity Test
    http://www.helpself.com/purity.htm

There is also the BSRI (Bem Sex Role Inventory) - I can't find a copy

A test also used is the Moir-Jessel Brain Sex Test, I can't find a copy

a parody of the COGIATI, called the DIANATI is at
    http://www.tsroadmap.com/wisdom/dianati.html

another satire is the SPARK Test at
    http://community.sparknotes.com/gender/

or the Wench test (formerly known as the BITCH Test)
    http://community.sparknotes.com/wench/

All of these tests have something in common, both the parodies as well as the real ones. They are ALL JUNK. At least the ones doing the spoofs are aware of this. THIS IS JUNK SCIENCE - i.e., not scientific at all.

Other methods you might like, if you like the above, are:
    -reading tea leaves
    -cut open the belly of a live sheep, read the entrails
    -Astrology (the divining of the future based on the light of stars and planets that are not even where we see them)
    -tie arms and feet together, toss in water, if it floats, its a witch, burn her.
    -coin flip

PS, I scored a 95% on the BITCH Test, which my coworkers seem to think is mighty low.

thank you for the work you are doing, and the courage to do it.
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

One of the reasons to talk to classes on human sexuality is to clear up the common misconceptions many people have regarding sex and gender. Our group makes it a point to tell the students that sex has to do with what's between your legs while gender has to do with what's between your ears. The students that attend our presentations may come there initially thinking that crossdressing is just a sexual activity, but they go away from the presentation with an awareness that it is much more complex than that. We had several students tell us exactly that at the end of our last class.
    Phoebe

Smile In my future?

[SIZE="3"]
    Educating the public about crossdressing is great needed. I see myself getting involved with some thing like this. I am studying to become a teacher so this is right up my alley. Right now, I am educating my spouse about crossdressing.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

boi - gurl - whatever... Ms. Donna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tekla west
    The ONLY good test.
    Kate Bornstein's Gender Test
    http://cydathria.com/ms_donna/ga_test.html
    Why thanks! It took me forever to type all that stuff in.

All of these tests have something in common, both the parodies as well as the real ones. They are ALL JUNK. At least the ones doing the spoofs are aware of this. THIS IS JUNK SCIENCE - i.e., not scientific at all.
    True. They should only be used for amusement purposes.

Unfortunately, too many people give too weight to these tests as 'proof' of who and what they are.

Other methods you might like, if you like the above, are:
    -reading tea leaves
    -cut open the belly of a live sheep, read the entrails
    -Astrology (the divining of the future based on the light of stars and planets that are not even where we see them)
    -tie arms and feet together, toss in water, if it floats, its a witch, burn her.
    -coin flip
    Personally, I find the coin flip to be the most accurate.

Love & Stuff,
    Donna
    Just your average transgender non-op transsexual
    crossdressing genderqueer transgenderist geek.

[SIZE="1"]The obligatory blog: http://wanderingaloud.wordpress.com/[/SIZE]

Dee Dee