Thread: Rodeo v2

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rodeo v2

I have posted in the Special Events section about my volunteering with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Most of that thread deals with the event itself. This thread is more about being trans and yet being successful.

About six years ago my sister asked if I wanted to volunteer with her at the HLSR. I said yes, bought the necessary items for the western style uniform and attended the training sessions.

Considering how conservative (redneck) the rodeo culture is, I had some trepidation at first. I never experienced anything negative.

My team sells tickets at the carnival. We take in a large portion of the money that will go towards scholarships. The first year I was a ticket seller. The next year I was made Linebuster, then Wrangler and last year Assistant Captain.

Tomorrow I have an interview with two of the Vice Chairmen of the 850 member Midway Ticket Committee. They want me to be Captain of my rodeo team of 74 volunteers. Traditionally three years experience as Assistant Captain was required before even being considered for a Captain’s position.

I will report back in a couple of days about the results of the interview.
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 06-19-2023 at 09:22 AM.